Sexual Assault Awareness Month 2020
RESOURCES | EVENTS | SOCIAL MEDIA |
This Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM), we’re stressing the importance of consent in everyday interactions with the I Ask campaign. We can model and normalize consent in interactions with our friends, partners, families, and more. This year’s SAAM theme calls on us all to make consent the norm, which will help us create safer communities for each and every one of us.
Resources for Practicing Consent
- NJCASA’s C.A.R.E.S. campaign
- NSVRC’s consent guide
- NSVRC’s consent infographic
Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, NJCASA and local sexual violence programs across New Jersey are hosting virtual events and activities throughout Sexual Assault Awareness Month.
Join NJCASA’s Heroes on the Hunt for Hope virtual scavenger hunt and support our work to create a safer New Jersey!
April 6 | How the Heck Do I Talk to My Kids About Consent?
Talking to your young child about consent & boundaries is easier than you might expect. Find out why it’s so important to have these discussions early, and learn how to teach your child that their body belongs to them with this blog post from healingSPACE staff.
April 7 | How to Practice Self-Care in Uncertain Times
In this upcoming video post from healingSPACE, learn how to create a safe space in our surroundings and nurture ourselves with breath and mindfulness practice.
April 8 | Children’s Book Reading – My Body! What I Say Goes!
Join healingSPACE at 11 a.m. for a read aloud of My Body! What I Say Goes by Jayneen Sanders. Through this book, children will learn about safe and unsafe feelings, private parts, safe and unsafe touch, and respecting body boundaries.
April 9 | Movie Screening
Join healingSPACE staff for a screening of the movie Hot Girls Wanted at 3 p.m. on Netflix Party. (Link to come.)
April 13 | How the Heck Do I Talk to My Kids About Consent?
In this upcoming blog post from healingSPACE staff members, parents and guardians will be given strategies on how to approach the seemingly difficult conversations of both consent and sexual health with children in grades 4-8.
April 15 | Children’s Book Reading – I Said NO!
Join healingSPACE at 11 a.m. for a read aloud of I Said NO! by Jack King.
April 20 | How to Talk to Your Adolescent About Consent
The teenage years of an adolescent are the most important times of their lives. The talks about consent can be difficult but not impossible! This upcoming blog post from healingSPACE staff members has some tips on how you can make that talk easier.
April 22 | Children’s Book Reading – Miles is the Boss of His Body
Join healingSPACE at 11 a.m. for a read aloud of Miles Is the Boss of His Body by Abbie Schiller and Samantha Counter. Through this reading, children will experience a fun and engaging way to explore the potentially difficult topic of kids’ personal safety through Miles’ journey.
April 23 | Consent Through Fairytales
April 27 | How to Talk to Your College Student About Consent
The education on consent does not stop after high school, it continues throughout one’s whole lifespan. Learn how to relay information to college students with this upcoming blog post from healingSPACE staff members.
April 28 | Digital Clothesline
April 29 | Virtual Denim Day
April 1 – 30 | Social Media Campaign
Join SAVE of Essex County for a month-long social media event! Each day of Sexual Assault Awareness Month, follow SAVE’s campaign calendar for new challenges and activities.
April 1-30 | Denim Day
Take a picture of your denim throughout the month of April and send to email@example.com to be entered to win a SAAM prize!
April 1-30 | Chalk the Walk
Send a picture of your sidewalk “chalked” with messages of love, hope, consent, and body positive affirmations by April 30 to firstname.lastname@example.org to be entered to win a SAAM prize!
April 14 at 12 p.m. & April 16 at 6 p.m. | Virtual Film Discussion of Roll Red Roll
Watch Roll Red Roll (available on Netflix) and join on either date to discuss the film with staff members from St. Francis Counseling Service. Register by emailing email@example.com.
April 1 – 30 | Virtual Bingo Event
Join DASI for a month-long virtual bingo event by downloading the virtual bingo game, following the instructions carefully, and choosing the activities you would like to participate in! All participants are entered for the chance to win a grand prize.
Social Media Engagement
Follow Along! The inclusion of organizations in this list should not be interpreted as an endorsement of content. All opinions expressed are those of the account-holders and do not necessarily represent NJCASA.
Sexual Violence Organizations – New Jersey
- 180 Turning Lives Around, Inc. (@180nj)
- Center for Family Services (@centerffs)
- Domestic Abuse & Sexual Assault Crisis Center of Warren County (@DASACCWCNJ)
- Domestic Abuse & Sexual Assault Intervention Services (@DasiOrg)
- Hudson S.P.E.A.K.S. (@HudsonSpeaksSV)
- Passaic County Women’s Center (@PCWCOutreach_)
- Rutgers University – Office for Violence Prevention and Victim Assistance (@RU_VPVA)
- SAVE of Essex County (@FamServiceLeag)
- Womanspace (@WomanspaceInc)
Sexual Violence Organizations – National
- NAESV (@endsxlviolence)
- NSVRC (@nsvrc)
- National Women’s Law Center (@nwlc)
- Know Your IX (@knowyourIX)
- Chicago Taskforce (@chitaskforce)
- Prevent Connect (@PreventConnect)
- End Rape on Campus (@endrapeoncampus)
- Raliance (@RalianceOrg)
- It’s On Us (@ItsOnUs)
Allied Organizations – New Jersey
- New Jersey Coalition Against Domestic Violence (@NJCEDV)
- Center on Violence Against Women and Children (@VAWC_Rutgers)
- New Jersey Coalition Against Human Trafficking (@NJ_Coalition)
- Planned Parenthood Action Fund of New Jersey (@PPActionNJ)
- ACLU of New Jersey (@ACLUNJ)
- New Jersey Association for the Treatment of Sexual Abusers (@NJATSA)
- Garden State Equality (@GSEquality)
- Manavi (@ManaviSpeaks)
- Catholic Charities, Diocese of Camden (@CCharitiesSJ)
- New Jersey Islamic Network Group (Facebook)
- Hispanic Family Center of Southern New Jersey (@HFCSNJ)
- Samhaj NAMI NJ (Facebook)
- Cathedral Kitchen (Facebook)
- Wafa House (@WafaHouse)